Horse Network

Equestrian Community

It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Horse trailers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:24 pm 

I have a horse who does not load very well into my Ifor Williams trailer. He will go in quite quickly on the outward journey but is VERY hesitant on the way home. I always drive very carefully so I am confident it's not anything to do with that. Is he trying it on? He will put front feet on trailer ramp, but refuses to go any further! Anyone got any ideas- have tried all the usual things. Also will be changing trailer later this year, are Equi trek trailers easier for bad loaders? Don't think he likes the confined feeling in the Ifor. Rather ruins your day out not knowing if you will get home! Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:12 pm 

How big is he?
Which Ifor trailer have you got?
I recently bought a 511 yet my horse is about 15.3hh, but he is a chunky sort and really filled a 505/506. So although it says they carry 2 x 16.2hh horses, my boy wouldn't have been happy in one. What i am trying to say in a rambling kind of way is that he shouldn't feel "confined" in the correct size trailer???
I believe Richardson trailers and Batesons are quite airy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:31 pm 

He's 15.1 hh. Quite chunky and likes to travel with daughters pony who is 14.2 and very chunky! Trailer is the 505.when I bought him she did say he could be difficult to load, so it has been an on going thing.just thought rear facing might be less stressful and a side opening ramp less 'tunnel like'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:25 pm 

Do you travel him alone or with company?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:37 pm 

He may prefer being double tied and without the partition if you travelled him alone, otherwise my cob appeared better in my friends equitrek than my old rice though that was a balance issue, he'd drop his back end going around corners, no matter how slow i drove!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:59 pm 

Thanks for the ideas, he has always travelled with my daughters pony,although he has to go in first otherwise he doesn't fit in. Once he's in the trailer seems quite calm,just can't get him in!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 pm 

If he loads fine and without bother on the outwards journeys every time and is only difficult to load going home then I feel he doesn't want to go home, maybe he is really enjoying his trips out?!!!
Treats which are irresistible to him will help as long as they are given each time he loads.
Do you load him in-between classes at shows?
If he gets into the habit of standing in the trailer for short periods of time whilst at a show, with the top door open so he can see what is going on, he may be less hesitant. It will take practice and patience but he will soon realise that its not that bad.
He shouldn't feel cramped in an Ifor, he is not that big. My 15.3 fitted in my 505 just fine until he grew to 16.2 and I upgraded to a 511...which now feels huge !
:D

Post subject: Trailer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:28 pm 

When was the last time that you had the trailer fully checked over to ensure it's safety?

I knew a couple of horses who had always been perfect to travel, and then a similar thing happened to what you are saying, and we knew nothing had happened during the journey. After a couple of times of trying to load, we discovered it was just one side of the trailer that they were reluctant to go up onto.

After checking the floor, it turned out that on the one side the floor was starting to go. It wasn't horrific, but it was starting to rot at the edge and the horses could obviously feel it. A new floor was put in and the loading went straight back to normal.

Always trust the horse - he/she is definitely trying to tell you something! Hope you find out what it is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 am 

The trailer was serviced recently and we have tried both sides of trailer to see if he prefers one over other-no joy. He isn't easy to load ever, but always much worse coming home. Maybe he is trying to tell me something!! We only are happy hackers and enjoy farm rides so he isn't a hugely frequent traveller.He is lazy and bloody minded so he might just be being a pain, if only they could talk! I did explain to him it would be much less work for him to have a lift home rather than do the two hour hack back which we did on Sunday!!!

Post subject: Loading
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:14 pm 

I totally feel your pain, it is so annoying. The mare I had on loan was a nightmare to load going and coming home. It totally puts you off going anywhere.
I parked the trailer up by my stable and wouldn't turn her out until she had walked through and stood on the trailer to have a treat then walked her off when she had finished she did get better but I couldn't of gone to a show on my own without my husband as would have really struggled. I dont think it is the trailer that is the issue to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:22 pm 

Hello peacock top hat! It's Emma. We bought Toppey off you! She is the wide 14.2 pony that comes out with my horse! Now she really is a one in a million pony,best thing that ever happened to my daughter. X

Post subject: Trailer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 pm 

Hello

I used to have a 505 and I started to have massive problems travelling my horse. I could only travel him on his own with the centre partition taken out which wasn't ideal. I have now got an equitrek and it's the best trailer
I've had. He travels backwards like a dream with or without company.

Have you tried used a rope halter to load? I had problems loading one of my other cobs. He would plant his front feet on the ramp and not move. I then tried a natural horsemanship rope halter and applied a little pressure until he walked forward and within about three times of loading he goes straight up the ramp without hesitating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 am 

emmah wrote:
Thanks for the ideas, he has always travelled with my daughters pony,although he has to go in first otherwise he doesn't fit in. Once he's in the trailer seems quite calm,just can't get him in!!!

In what way doesn't he fit in? You don't say how big he is but if there isn't enough space to load him with the other on board, it's likely there isn't enough room for him to travel either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:04 pm 

Maybe it is a little too narrow for him, but it may just be that, if he's not travelled for a while, he may be persuaded to go in, but the fear of having to travel again on the way back may be too much; I know my horse can be a little bit like that sometimes!

Also, if he doesn't go in it that often that doesn't always help. I know one time my horse hadn't travelled for 6 months and I had to spend 6 hours the night before taking him to the vets to get him accustomed to it again. Try spending half an hour or even less with him around it every day if you have chance, or even a couple of times a week. I used to spend time with my boy, sitting inside the floor of the trailer and eating, whilst letting him have his feed as far up the ramp as he would go. Eventually he came in of his own accord, and I'd just let him stand there in the stall area and give him a haynet. Only once he was completely relaxed would I put the bars up.

Bateson trailers are fab for the airy feeling, so they may be worth investing in, but I know my boy doesn't like Equi-Trek's that much as he tends to like the idea of just being able to walk through. I tend to bend the partition outwards if I can, take the front bar down again and - rather than persuade him to walk into the trailer, persuade him to walk through it. Once he realised he could walk straight out the other side, he was a lot more chilled about going in. Hope this helps; definitely listen to your horse and let him take his time if you can, spending lots of time around / in the trailer with no force definitely helped me :)